Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Brief History in Dating.

So I am blissfully infatuated with my new friend. I love this part of a budding romance where you can not find one flaw with the other. I know it may end at any moment, but I will enjoy this part of the ride as long as I possibly can. I did ask him what he would like his fake name to be, but he hasn't come up with anything. He did say Joseph, but considering that is one of my parents' name's, I just could not let him use it, that would just be weird. So for now, I think I will refer to him as Mr. Wonderful, Mr. Big is already taken.

Anyone that really knows me is very aware that I have made probably the worst choices in men. I know that I am not alone in these bad decisions, there are tons of women (and men) out there that have not chosen wisely when it comes dating and relationships. I have had, what I consider, two actual boyfriends, the others where just fillers along the way to terrible relationships.

My first "real love" was a guy that I had meet when I turned 21. His name was Mike. He was ten years older then me, and he spoiled me rotten. I was a trophy for him. He was a god to me. Alas, his drugs got in the way, and one day, he was not the same man that I worshiped. I grew up, he went to jail. I did recently reconnect with him, and it was a total disaster. My second was Josh, and I don't think I ever really loved him. I think I loved the idea of loving him. As Sophie has pointed out recently, he was my soul mate. Not in the happily ever after kind of fairly tale way, but in the if I had not gone through the torture of him, I would not be the strong, wonderful person I am today, kind of way. The amount of personal growth he set in motion for me is astounding. He was abusive in every sense of the word. He turned me into a statistic, just another number in the battered woman charts.

Those two men where my Achilles Tendons at the time. Now they are minor scars that, on occasion, remind me that I have to work on my strength and flexibility so I never have to deal with that kind of injury again. Which brings me back to Mr. Wonderful. He is the total opposite of everything I have been attracted to in my past. He has a job, a car, a sense of humor, and is completely open and honest about himself. There is none of that silly mind trip, game play with him. I have been enjoying getting to know him, and it is so adult and mature and refreshing. I actually like to be around him, and I like being nice to him. That is just so out of character for me.

1 comment:

  1. glad you're keeping up with the aliases! lol

    I'm SO happy that you're happy - and I hope Mr. W doesn't turn out to be an axe murderer and have people buried in his basement! lol

    (hey - just giving you the same scenarios you've always given me!)

    ReplyDelete